The Democrats For Life organization would beg to differ with them:
In 1978, the Democratic Party, held a 292-seat majority in the U.S. House, with 125 pro-life Democrats. Increased partisanship over the pro-life issue—including the rejection of pro-life candidates within the Democratic Party—caused many of the pro-life Democratic districts to elect Republican candidates. In fact, the number of pro-choice Democrats in the House has essentially remained around 167. It is the number of pro-life Democrats that decreased from 125 to only 17, leaving Democrats overall with only 184 Members.
|Here at amazon.com|
That diversity of opinion is as follows:
- 61% of Democrats support parental consent for minors seeking abortion (Gallup, 2011);
- 60% of Democrats support a 24-hour waiting period for women seeking abortion (Gallup, 2011);
- 84% of Democrats support informed consent (Gallup, 2011);
- 49% of Democrats support an ultrasound requirement (Gallup, 2011);
- 59% of Democrats support a ban on partial-birth abortions (Gallup, 2011).
With so many Democrats being for these policies, how come they can't work with Republicans to represent those views in responsible legislation? Exactly which party has been hijacked by extremists? Which party has a radical minority that is imposing its views on all party members?
What happened to "safe, legal, and rare"? When did it change to "I love abortion" and "I'd have the World's Greatest Abortion"?