Thursday, February 21, 2013

Cognitive Dissonance Perhaps?


An interesting exchange on a blog:

    • Arlo J. Pignotti On October 10, 2011 at 10:25 am       
      I know several people who will never work until the welfare is taken away. I was able to convince two people to get off welfare to work for me, but it took great effort, and as the “employer” (they’re really contractors) there’s no way I would have put that much into convincing them if I hadn’t known them personally. I even know a couple of people who go so far as to move state to state to qualify for one program while another program runs out. Sometimes I think when people say they don’t know anyone who would choose welfare over work, they’re just not being honest with themselves and looking the other way when they see it. This is very common and will get more common as we increase these so-called benefits.
    • Kim Cooper On October 10, 2011 at 9:27 pm     
      Arlo — You know, unless those people you describe are teenagers, I just flat out don’t believe you.

Let's paraphrase this.
Arlo:  I personally know several people who avoid work as long as another way is available, and some of them move from state to state to keep avoiding work. I think people who don't recognize that these situations exist are in denial. 
Kim:  Arlo, these are teenagers or it just can't be true.  
Wow.

No comments:

Post a Comment